Regulations of the XX National Festival of Directing Art “Interpretations”
1. These regulations define the goals and principles of the organization and implementation of the 20th National Festival of Directing Art "Interpretations" (hereinafter referred to as the Festival). 2. This year's edition of the Festival will be online and will be held on November 23-28, 2020. 3. The performances will be presented on a special channel prepared on the Katowice City of Gardens website in the festivals tab. 4. The aim of the festival is: a) presentation and promotion of creators - theater directors; b) a review of the most interesting and best performances of the 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 theater season, TV Theater or other audiovisual works of an artistic nature and radio plays by the Polish Radio Theater, which premiered between September 1, 2018 and June 30, 2020; c) creating a forum for the exchange of ideas and experiences of the theater community in the country. 5. The organization and implementation of the purpose of the Festival takes place through: a) an invitation to present the performance at the headquarters of a given theater in the form of live streaming, directed by artists qualified to participate in the Festival; b) presentation of theatrical performances, TV Theater productions or other audiovisual works in the form of an artistic spectacle and radio dramas produced by the Polish Radio Theater - on a competition basis - in an on-line form; c) creating conditions and opportunities for discussing contemporary problems of directing art around the presented performances; d) presenting to the festival audience the profiles of the directors - participants of the Festival - on-line; e) presentation of accompanying events; f) integration of academic and student communities focusing on art universities.
II. FESTIVAL MANAGEMENT
1. The organizer of the Festival is Katowice City of Gardens - Institution of Culture. Krystyna Bochenek in Katowice (hereinafter referred to as the Organizer or KMO). 2. The Director of KMO conducts the matters of the Festival specified in these Regulations with the help of the Artistic Director and the Organizational Office of the Festival. 3. The Organizational Office of the Festival is located in the Organizer's building in Katowice, at Plac Sejmu Śląskiego 2. 4. The Festival is chaired by the Artistic Director appointed by the Director of KMO in consultation with the Mayor of Katowice. 5. The Artistic Director, in agreement with the Director of the KMO, may invite an advisory team, consisting of at least 2 members, to assist the Artistic Director in consultations regarding the artistic program of the Festival. 6. This year's edition, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, will exceptionally be held only on-line. III. PREPARATION FOR THE COMPETITION
1. Due to the current situation related to the Covid-19 pandemic, in this year's edition, the organizers decided to qualify performances on the basis of: - the presence of members of the advisory team at the performance at the theater headquarters - a video recording of the performance sent by the theater .. 2. The choice of a performance for qualification is decided by: Artistic Directors and Director of KMO together with members of the advisory team. 3. Qualification ended on July 5, 2020. 4. The information on qualifying the performances for the competition was provided to the participants by the Organizer on July 6, 2020. 5. The organizer entrusted the members of the qualifying committee with the selection of TV Theater performances or other audiovisual works of an artistic nature, meeting the statutory criteria of the Competition.
6. Qualification ended on August 31, 2020. 7. Formal invitations to participate in the Festival towards producers of TV performances or other production entities that are the owners of the rights to the above-mentioned works, are made by the Organizer by 30 September 2020. IV. CONTEST
1. The festival is a competition. As part of the Festival, cash prizes are awarded: for the best theater directing and for the best directing of a TV Theater performance or other audiovisual works in the form of an artistic spectacle and a radio play by the Polish Radio Theater. Additionally, the theater director will be awarded the "Konrad's Laurel" statuette - in accordance with point VI of the Regulations. 2.The competition will present: theatrical performances (classic, contemporary, original plays and adaptations made by repertoire, drama, institutional or private theaters), TV Theater productions or other audiovisual works of an artistic nature and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater, which premiered in the territory of the Republic of Poland, in the 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 theater seasons, between September 1, 2018 and June 30, 2020. 3. Only directors' performances with the theatrical debut within 10 years will be eligible for the competition. 4. The Artistic Director invites a five-person Jury, approved by the Director of the KMO, to evaluate the performances qualified for the Festival. 5. A person professionally related to the substantive activities of the theater, ie director, set designer, composer, choreographer, playwright, actor or theater director, may become a member of the Jury. V. DUTIES OF THE COMPETITION PARTICIPANTS
1. The theater is obliged to immediately send information and promotional materials for the qualified performance (including 5 photos in appropriate resolution with the photographer's name in the name of each file, a current note about the director of the performance, notes about the content of the performance, cast, possibly other materials such as interviews, reviews and a trailer of the show) with the right to be used free of charge for the needs of the Organizational Office of the Festival and the festival publishing house on-line The Organizational Office of the Festival does not return the submitted materials.
2. The theater participating in the Festival agrees to: a) transferring the recorded fragment of the performance free of charge for the purposes of advertising and promoting the Festival b) free publication in the press, festival publications, c) free use of photo materials, fragments of video, advertising and information by local and national television and on internet portals, d) in the case of production of the TV Theater or other audiovisual works of the nature of an artistic show and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater - consent to free public performances during the Festival, on the terms established as a result of negotiations and signing an appropriate contract with the producer of performances or other production entities that are the owners of the rights to performances. 5. The Theater undertakes to post information about participation in the Festival in its own promotional materials, in particular on the Theater website, social media (eg Facebook profile, etc.). 6. The Theater shall settle all legal and copyright obligations (royalties, licenses) related to the presented performance on its own for the benefit of the appropriate entity. 7. The director of a performance qualified for the competition is obliged to participate in the Festival during the presentation of his work, in particular to participate in the online meeting after the presentation is finished and to be present during the verdict announcement by the jury at the end of the Festival. 8. The closing gala of the festival will be held with the participation of the jury and directors in the seat of one of the theaters selected by the organizers. 9. The Gala will be broadcast online in the form of video-streaming. VI. DUTIES OF THE COMPETITION ORGANIZER
1. The Organizer of the Festival covers the costs of live video-streaming with copyrights up to the amount of PLN 25,000 (in words: twenty-five thousand zlotys) gross. The remaining costs are covered by the theater. 3. The organizer does not bear the costs associated with the purchase of props, including consumables, used during the performances qualified for the competition. VII. AWARDS
1. The pool of prizes in the Competition for the "Konrad's Laurel" amounts to a total of PLN 50,000.00 (say: fifty thousand zlotys) gross. Each juror has 1/5 of this amount, i.e. 10,000 zlotys. PLN, which may be awarded to the director who, in his opinion, was the best in the competition. The jurors announce their decisions after watching the last spectacle and justify them during the online broadcast of the awards ceremony. The director, who will receive awards from at least three jurors, will be the laureate of the 20th National Festival of Directing Art "Interpretations" and will receive the "Konrad's Laurel". 2. In the competitions: Best Direction of a Television Theater and Best Direction of a Radio Broadcast of Polish Radio Theater, the prize pool is PLN 14,000.00 (in words: fourteen thousand zlotys) gross. The competitions are decided by a three-person Jury appointed by the Artistic Director of the Festival, which will select the winners: Best Television Theater Production Director (PLN 7,000.00 prize); Best Director of the Audition of the Polish Radio Theater. (prize PLN 7,000.00). The winner of a given competition is selected by a majority of votes.
VIII. FINAL PROVISIONS 1. The Regulations are available on the website www.festiwal-interpretacje.pl 2. Amendments to the Regulations may only be made in writing, otherwise null and void by making available to the above-mentioned side. 3. Doubts regarding the interpretation of the regulations are made by the Director of KMO by making available on the Festival website. 4. The Regulations come into force on the day of publication. Piotr Zaczkowski - Organizational Director Ingmar Villqist (Jarosław Świerszcz) - Artistic Director
Regulations for the appointment of the Jury of the National Festival of Directing Art INTERPRETATIONS in Katowice 1. The Artistic Director of the Festival, after obtaining the approval of the Director of the KMO, appoints the Jury to evaluate the competition presentations: · Performances realized in the theater - judged by the Jury composed of five; a person professionally related to the substantive activities of the theater (director, set designer, composer, choreographer, theater critic, theoretician of theater knowledge, etc.) may become a member of the jury, assessing the competitive theater performances. · Television theater performances, realized as part of the Teatroteka project by WFFiD - judged by the Jury consisting of three members; a member of the jury assessing directors of the TV Theater or other audiovisual works of an artistic spectacle, may become a person professionally related to the substantive activities of theater, television and film theater (theater, film, documentary director, theater critic, theater knowledge theorist, etc.). · Radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater - judged by the Jury composed of three members; a member of the jury assessing radio play directors, a person professionally related to the substantive activities of theater and radio (theater and radio director, theater critic, theater knowledge theorist, etc.) may become a member. 2. The Chairman of the Jury is chosen by the Artistic Director of the Festival. 3. The members of the Jury receive a fee determined each time by the Organizational Director of the Festival in consultation with the Artistic Director of the Festival. Piotr Zaczkowski - Organizational Director Jarosław Świerszcz (Ingmar Villqist) - Artistic Director