Regulations of the XIX National Festival of Directing Art “Interpretations”
1. These regulations define the goals and principles of the organization and implementation of the 19th edition of the National Festival of Directors’ Art “Interpretations” (hereinafter referred to as the Festival).
2. The goal of the Festival is:
a) presentation and promotion of creators – theater directors;
b) review of the most interesting and best performances of the 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 theater season, the Television Theater and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater, the premiere of which took place between September 1, 2016 and June 30, 2018;
c) creating a forum for the exchange of ideas and experiences of the theater environment in the country.
3. The organization and implementation of the Festival’s goal takes place through:
a) an invitation to perform on stage in Katowice or in other spaces theater performances directed by artists qualified to participate in the Festival;
b) presentation of theater performances, Television Theater productions and radio dramas provided by the Polish Radio Theater – on the basis of the competition – for the Silesian audience, guests and spectators invited to the festival from Poland and abroad;
c) creating conditions and possibilities of discussing contemporary issues of directing art around the presented performances;
d) presenting the festival audience to the figures of directors – participants of the Festival;
e) conducting cultural education and disseminating knowledge in the field of theatrical art;
f) presentation of master performances and accompanying events;
g) integration of academic and student communities centered around art academies.
II. THE FESTIVAL STAGE MANAGEMENT
1. The organizer of the Festival is Katowice City of Gardens – Institution of Culture. Krystyny Bochenek in Katowice (hereinafter referred to as the Organizer or KMO).
2.The Director of the FPS shall conduct the Festival’s matters specified in these Regulations with the assistance of the Artistic Director and the Organizational Office of the Festival.
3. The Organizational Office of the Festival is located in the Organizer’s building in Katowice at Plac Sejmu Śląskiego 2.
4.The Festival is chaired by the Artistic Director, who is appointed by the Director of the FMA in agreement with the Mayor of the City of Katowice.
5.The Art Director, in consultation with the Director of the KMO, may invite an advisory team of at least 2 members who will assist the Artistic Director in consultations regarding the artistic program of the Festival.
6.The festival takes place every two years and has the character of a biennial.
1.Festival is of competition nature. As part of the Festival, prizes are awarded: “Konrad’s Laurel” for the best theater direction and for the best direction of the Television Theater and radio play performance of the Polish Radio Theater – in accordance with point. VI of the Regulations.
2.The competition will present: theater performances (classical, contemporary, original dramas and adaptations realized by repertoire, dramatic, institutional or private theaters), Television Theater productions and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater, whose premieres took place on the territory of the Republic of Poland, in the season theatrical 2016/2017 and 2017/2018, between September 1, 2016 and June 30, 2018.
3. Only directors’ performances will be eligible for the competition, from which the theatrical debut will not be more than 10 years old.
4. To assess the performances qualified for the Festival, the Artistic Director invites, in a separate mode, a five-person Jury, accepted by the Director of KMO.
5. The Jury member may become a person professionally associated with the substantive activity of the theater, ie a director, set designer, composer, choreographer, playwright, actor or theater director.
6. The spectacle is selected only on the basis of a direct view of the performance by the members of the advisory team.
7. The Selection of the show for the qualification is decided by the Artistic Directors and the KMO together with the members of the advisory team.
8. Information about qualifying performances for the Competition will be provided to the participants by the Organizational Office by July 8, 2018.
9. The organizer entrusts the Program Committee (or its member) with an indication of the performances of the TV Theater or other audiovisual works of artistic character meeting the competition criteria. The formal invitation to participate in the Festival in relation to producers of performances (Telewizja Polska or other producer entities that own the rights to performances) on the basis of the above applications is made by the Organizer by July 9, 2018
IV. OBLIGATIONS OF PARTICIPANTS OF THE COMPETITION
1. The theater, whose performance will be selected by the Artistic Director of the Festival and the advisory team (members of the selection committee), as a potential candidate to take part in the Festival is obliged to allow access to the performance and see the spectacle of the Artistic Director and members of the advisory team, on dates agreed by the Theater with the Festival’s Organizational Office, under pain of excluding the performance from the Competition. The productions of the Television Theater and the radio play of the Polish Radio Theater should be made available to the Director and the advisory team in the form allowing them to be seen or heard, and then also to the festival audience (including the right to issue).
2. The performance of the performance for the Festival is required by the Theater, which performs the spectacle, to immediately determine the technical conditions through organized technical visits of the theater representatives to accept the space in which the performance would be presented together with the audience plan and the number of spectators (sound system, lighting type, stage layout) and audience, props, revolving scene). The arrangements for the above-mentioned conditions with the Competition Organizer will be made no later than on August 3, 2018. The arrangements regarding space and technical conditions should be of a protocol nature and should not be subject to subsequent changes. In the case of the performance of the Television Theater and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater, the participant presents the conditions of the broadcast necessary to make it public.
3. The performance of the spectacle obliges the Theater to immediately send the information and promotional materials of the performance (including 5 photos in the appropriate resolution with the name of the photographer in the name of each file, current note about the director of the performance, notes on the content of the performance, casts, or other materials such as interviews, reviews and the trailer of the performance) with the right to use for free for the purposes of the Festival Organizational Office and festival publisher. The Festival Organizational Office does not return the materials sent.
4. The theater participating in the Festival agrees to:
a) free registration of fragments of the exhibited performance and the possibility of photographic documentation during the rehearsals and the performance for the purposes of advertising and promotion of the Festival,
b) free publishing in the press, festival publications, materials provided by local and national television as well as on internet portals sent and registered during the performance of advertising and information materials,
c) use of photos and fragments of recordings from performances to promote the performance during the Festival,
d) in the case of the performance of the Television Theater and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater – consent for free public reconstructions during the Festival, on the principles established as a result of negotiations and signing an appropriate contract with the producer of performances or other producer entities that own the rights to performances.
5. The theater commits to posting information about participation in the Festival in its own promotional materials, in particular on the Theater’s website, social media (eg Facebook profile, etc.).
6. All legal and copyright obligations (royalties, licenses) related to the presented performance are regulated by the Theater in its own right for the benefit of the relevant entity.
7. The director of the performance qualified for the Competition is obliged to participate in the Festival at the time of the presentation of his work, in particular to participate in the meeting with the audience after the presentation and to the presence during the verdict by the jurors during the end of the Festival.
V. OBLIGATIONS OF THE ORGANIZER OF THE COMPETITION
1. The conditions at which participants of the Festival occur determine the agreements concluded between the Festival participants and the Festival Organizer.
2. The organizer will be obliged under a separate contract to:
a) payment of remuneration for the theatrical performance / issue as part of the Festival. The remuneration covers all costs related to the presentation of the performance, including: artistic fees, remuneration of the technical team, employee allowances, transport of people and stage design, insurance costs, etc .; payment of remuneration shall take place on the basis of a properly issued VAT invoice within 7 days after the presentation of the performance and delivery of a properly issued invoice;
b) cover the accommodation costs of the members of the Teatr’s team taking part in the performance or its preparation – based on the hotel list provided by the Theater;
c) refund of the copyright royalties (ZAiKS or other) from the net proceeds from the sale of tickets for the performance – according to the percentage specified in the agreement with the Theater;
d) providing a parking space for trucks carrying elements of scenography and coaches carrying theater teams. Parking fees are borne by the Theater;
e) ensure, on the day of performance and on the day of assembly and disassembly, a performance hall free of charge for the spectacle with support necessary during the performance and rehearsal, and access to the backroom and heated wardrobe – in accordance with the Technical Leader constituting an annex to the contract with the Theater;
f) provide on the premises where the spectacle will be issued, observe the rules of health and safety and fire protection
3. The Organizer does not bear the costs related to the purchase of requisites, including consumables, used during performances qualified for participation in the Contest.
1. The prize pool in the “Konrad Laurel” contest amounts to a total of PLN 55,000.00. (in words: fifty-five thousand zlotys). Each juror has 1/5 of this sum, ie 11,000. PLN, which he can distribute at his own discretion to the best director of the Festival. The Jury announces their decisions after watching the last performance and justifies them publicly in front of the festival audience. The director, who will receive awards from at least three jurors, will be the laureate of the 19th National Festival of Directing Art “Interpretations” and will receive “Konrad Convent”.
2. In the competitions: Best Television Theater Direction and Best Director of Radio Broadcasting of the Polish Radio Theater, the prize pool is PLN 20,000.00 (twenty thousand zlotys). The competitions determine the three-member Jury appointed before the Artistic Director of the Festival, which will select the laureates: the Best Director of Television Theater Production (PLN 10,000.00 prize); Best Director of the Audience of the Polish Radio Theater. (PLN 10,000.00 reward). Voting takes place by a majority of votes.
3. Journalists and theater critics accredited at the Festival may award their own autonomous prize.
4. An audience award for the director of a theater performance, funded by the Silesian Voivodeship Self-Government in the amount of PLN 10,000.00 (ten thousand zlotys), is awarded on the basis of a vote, by a majority of votes cast by the audience for a given performance.
5. Legal and physical persons may present prizes they have funded by submitting a written proposal, which is translated to the approval of the Director of the KMO.
VII. FINAL PROVISIONS
1. The regulations are available on the website www.festiwal-interpretacje.pl
2. The Regulations may be changed only in writing under pain of nullity by making available to the abovementioned page.
3. Doubts about the interpretation of the regulations are made by the Director of the KMO by making available on the Festival website.
4. The Regulations enter into force on March 5, 2018.
Piotr Zaczkowski, Organizational Director
Ingmar Villqist, Artistic Director
Rules for appointing the Jury of the National Festival of Directing Art INTERPRETATIONS in Katowice
1. The Jury, which will evaluate the competition performances, appoints the Festival Artistic Director in a five-member composition after obtaining the approval of the Director of KMO. The jury member who assesses competition theater performances can become a person professionally associated with the substantive activity of the theater (director, stage designer, composer, choreographer, theater critic, theoretician of theater knowledge, etc.).
2. A member of the jury evaluating the directors of the presented productions of Television Theaters and radio plays of the Polish Radio Theater in a three-person composition is appointed by the Artistic Director. The jury member evaluating the directors of the Television Theater can become a person professionally associated with the substantive activity of the theater and television and film theater (theater, film, documentary director, theater critic, theoretician of theater knowledge, etc.). A member of the jury assessing directors of radio plays, can become a person professionally associated with the substantive activity of theater and radio (theater director, radio, theater critic, theoretician of theater knowledge, etc.).
3. The chairman of the jury elects the Artistic Director of the Festival.
4. The Jury members receive a fee determined each time by the Organizational Director of the Festival in agreement with the Artistic Director of the Festival, on the basis of an order contract, concluded between the Festival Organizational Director and a member of the jury.
5. The Organizer of the Festival guarantees the members of the Jury during the Festival the accommodation and reimbursement of travel expenses.
Piotr Zaczkowski, Organizational Director
Ingmar Villqist, Artistic Director